Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/04/22

Very sore quads

How does one run without getting veri sore quads during a marathon or ultra marathon. During the Comrades last year before i even got to half way my quads were really sore. I have started going to gym this year to cross train, am cycling and doing weights especially the leg machines, what else can I do not to have them being that sore. I know that they will take strain simply because I am running that kinda distance!

Hi anon

The sore muscles are caused by muscle damage, and that happens when the muscles are not used to the work they're doing.

So the answer is that you have to train very specifically for the exercise. Unfortunately, for a race like Comrades, sore quads are part of the deal! Running 90km is a really demanding activity, and it's very difficult to prepare the muscles fully for that. The better trained you are, the less pain you'll feel.

For this year's Comrades, for example, with the downhill sections, you would do well to practice downhill running, because that's what causes the most muscle damage. So I'd say at least once a week, you should be aiming to run downhill or over a hilly course for an hour, and "teach" your muscles how to manage the loading and downhill running.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Hi anon

Reply to fitnessdoc