Posted by: callyboo | 2009-02-19

very sore joint in hand

What' s up Doc? (You must hear that a lot)
Just a query, I' ve just come off of a course of cortisone for a massive crohns disease flareup. Since I' ve been off, I' ve developed a worsening pain in my thumb joint of my right hand. It' s almost an arthritic pain, and the joint " clicks"  a lot. I unfortunately write a lot during the day (I chair disciplinary enquiries) so can' t really just rest it..., and the continual use means that it really hurts while I' m writing. my boyfriend reckons I should find a scribe to write for me, then strap and immobolise the hand until it gets better. What should I do? And could it be related to being weaned off the cortisone?

Dear Callyboo
It sounds like inflammation in the joint - can still be a result of the crohn's flareup. Strap it with crepe bandage or white elastoplast to support the joint. I think you will still be able to write like that.