Question
Posted by: Amber | 2010/05/06

Very slow weight loss

Hi Doc,
I am 28 years old, I weigh 82Kg''s and am 1.68cm tall. my thyriod was removed 5 months ago because of cancer. I take .2mg Eltroxin daily. I have been training with a trainer 3 times a week started 4 months ago,and I am on the Holford eating plan for 4 weeks now, at my last weigh in though, I gained a kilo, I was devastated. Do you think I should see a dietician for a more specific eating plan, my metabolism is obviously very slow, and I suspect that I also retain fluid.
Any advice would be much apreciated

Dear Amber
I am sorry to hear about your op. I agree that it would be a good idea for you to consult a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to assess your present diet and suggest changes so that you start losing weight. Two factors could have caused you to gain that kg: a) Water retention as you mention, and b) Muscle gain because muscle tissue weighs more than fat! Keep up the good work with the exercise, because exercise is still the best metabolic stimulant available.

1

Dear Amber