Posted by: Concerned sister | 2011-11-30

Very Skinny

Hi there,

My brother is 21 years old, he is about 1.77m tall, but weighs about 60kg.

He has always been a skinny guy, but do you think we should get him to drink some shakes to get him to gain weight?

I thought to maybe get him into the gym and maybe take some protein, but he is to shy, as he is so skinny.
No one likes to be that skinny, I really think it affects his self esteem.

Please help.

Hi Alicia

I don't think that alone is necessarily the answer. The risk is that if you just increase the energy intake (which is what the shakes will do), then you can just increase fat mass, and that's probably not what you want and isn't really healthy either. So the secret is to combine the diet (which might include shakes) with exercise and some training. So the gym and weight combination is the way to go, as you suggest. Some people just don't respond to either in the same way, and so it's a long and difficult journey, and can really be challenging. But if he's patient and willing to invest the time, then he should be able to increase his mass at least a little. If not all the way.