Posted by: Tebs | 2012-05-02

very runny nose during cardio (sometimes excessive)

Everytime I go to the gym and run my 5kms on the treadmill my nose starts to run a lot, sometimes excessively. I try very hard not to open the flood gates, but I have to blow my nose. This obviously interferes greatly with my run because I end up blowing my nose evey 5 or so minutes. It doesn''t run as much when Im on other cardio machines (ie elliptical machine, stepper,bicycle). As time goes by,after the run, it''ll wear down. As long as I''m sweating,my nose will start running a lot. Is this normal? Sinus problems do run in the family (mom &  brother) but that is triggered by certain foods (mainly dairy). Please advise. Thank you

The runny nose can be triggered with exercise. I suggest that you consult an ENT specialist for an examination. It is possible that you are suffering from chronic sinusitis and that you will find relief when using a corticosteroid nasal spray.

Posted by: Tebs | 2012-05-21

Thank you for the advice!

Reply to Tebs