Question
Posted by: Patchie | 2011-02-08

Very old cat

I have a cat, I have had her for 23 years now, how old would that make her in cat years? Anyhow the cat was never one for roaming the outside she always used to just stay inside except to do her cat toilet stuff outside. Lately the cat does not even bother to go out anymore she just pees in the house and I have to clean and sanitize and try to take the smell away. although its not everyday she does this. Could it be that she is just to old and cant hold it in until she gets to the window to go out because if it was a spiteful thing she would do it everyday. She has only three teeth in her mouth left so we feed her soft cat food. She has a daily routine, wakes up in the morning from my bed moves to the lounge and sleeps on the couch, eating inbetween then at night she goes back to my bed, come to think of it I can recall that on some days I dont even see the cat going out of the house and on these days she does not do her toilet stuff in the house. Is it just old age I really dont want to put her to sleep as I love her, my daughter jokes and says the cat will outlive me and she and her husband will inherit the cat, could be true as this cat has outlived many family dogs and family members. What can I do to make her go outside to pee and not to do it in the house

23 years old is well over 100 years in human terms . A litter box inside is important as older cats tend to be more inclined to revert back to using a box. Make sure that she does not have arthritis ( very underdiagnosed in Veterinary Medicine !!!) or even a bladder/ kidney problem

3
Posted by: Tania | 2011-02-11

I also have an old girl, almost 21. She also sleeps a lot and goes for her walk a little outside, and watches the kittens play. She has arthritis as Cybervet says you should check, and is on medication, and this makes her very comfortable - quality of life. Also eats soft food, as few teeth are left. Cat litter tray is a must - one with a lower rim - easy access, and keep it clean. Also a Vet check every 3 months - my cats go for check yearly, then from 10 years every 6 months, and from 17, every 3 months, to the day .. general check, rountine urine check etc. Your Vet is the most important in ensuring the old cat has quality of life
Important to keep her routine. Even my house sitter who comes when I have to travel, MUST adhere to strict time control and give the extra she is used to from me.

Reply to Tania
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-02-10

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Carol | 2011-02-08

She is an old girl , and really just give her a litter tray .. her bladder has probably weakened and she just cant make it outside anymore.

You could makea vet visit , maybe an infection .

Reply to Carol