Question
Posted by: Mariaan | 2011-04-02

Very low pulse

I have had a low pulse rate as long as I can remember - 62 (I exercise once - twice a week, lately even less because I feel fatigued every day). 3 Years ago a had blood clots in my lungs after a minor operation. Since then my health is not what it used to be. My pulse rate dropped to 47 and I feel fatigued most of the day. My lung function test also reduced to 88% - some say the birthcontrol pill I use also has an impact. Please can you assist? If I need to see specalists, what type of spesialist di I need to see?

ps. I am 34 years and my sugar is normal and my blood pressure 125/80

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Mariaan. Usually a low resting heart rate is a sign of a healthy heart, and people with low heart rates on average live longer than those with high rates. It is unlikely that your low heart rate is in any way responsible for your tiredness.

Of more concern is your history of clots in the lung after a minor operation, and your mildly reduced lung function. Young women who have had clots in the lung should not be using oral contraception, and if you are a smoker it would be very important to stop that as well. You should also have a blood test to see whether your blood has any abnormal tendency to clot.

My advice would be to see a pulmonologist (respiratory physician) for an opinion about your tiredness, your lungs and your clotting function, plus you should see your gynae or GP for advice about alternative forms of contraception.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-04-04

Reply to Cardiologist