Question
Posted by: slowtummy | 2008/09/29

VERY irregular tummy

hi, my tum is very irregular, it doesn' t respond to exercise, it blocks on high fibre diets or lots of fruit / veggie diet. even regulets or laxative teas don' t impress my tummy! if i have really hi levels of pawpaw, beetroot, coffee and garlic in my diet, i seem to be able to push it into action - but not really " normality" . i have tried to do cleanses, and " clean up my act" , but my tummy simply ignores me. it is very swolen, and tender to the touch most of the time. it has been this way since childhood, so this is not an acute problem. it adds to my troubles to try and lose weight, as any changes to my diet leaves me in agony. any ideas on how to get my tum to play ball?

Dear Slowtummy
I think that you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and that it would be a good idea to see a physician who specialises in problems of the digestive tract. Ask your gp to refer you to a Gastroenterologist. The dr will determine if you do have IBS and prescribe treatment to alleviate the pain and help you become more regular. If you do suffer from IBS then it is important to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with the correct diet for your condition.
Stress is also an important contributing factor in IBS. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
Hope you feel much better soon

1
Posted by: Megan | 2008/09/29

Well the only thing that really works for me is aloe lumps/alwyn stukke. You can buy it from any chemist not expensive at all and drink a lump or two (you will have to decide how many) every second night.

Reply to Megan