Posted by: Des | 2008-11-26

Very bad sleeping pattern

I have had a very bad sleeping pattern for the past 17 years. I experience on and off sleep but i dream every night. The dreams are not at all related to my daily activities and are difficult to understand as they are disconnected.
I have sort medical help from my GP but sleeping tablets do not help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Des
One should first exclude physical causes of restless sleep, this can be pain, getting up too often to go to the toilet, cramps, hayfever, snoring. Your Gp should examine you and attend to any or all of these problems if they exist. Then one needs to look at whether you are anxious or depressed and treat this as possible cause. Seeing a psychologist to teach you relaxation techniques may be very useful. One should also avoid stimulants like caffeine (coffee, sigarettes, coke, red bull, grandpa headache powders etc)
See also