Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2008/08/31

VERY BAD breath (dog)

Labarodor, male, 7 years old. VERY VERY bad breathe!! you can smell it even from about 3 or 4 meters away. we thought it was him that stinks so much, so we wash him (bath him) and this doesnt help, now we realise its his actual breathe. now iv heard by a friend of mine this could mean he might have cancer??? is that possible, because he seems pretty healthy, nothing else wrong, just the very bad breathe. is it just old age maybe?
do we need to maybe try brush his teeth perhaps? with human toothpaste? how often?
p.s. we cant really afford to go to a vet at this time.
thanx, wud really appreciate some advice.

Dear Wendy

Only advice with this one is to go to the vet.

5
Posted by: m | 2008/09/08

wendy i have a lab age 6 and his breath smells also. i brush his teeth and it helps. they love dog toothpaste.

Reply to m
Posted by: k_m | 2008/09/03

How does one brush a dog' s teeth?

Reply to k_m
Posted by: Karen | 2008/09/01

I agree, he needs to go to the vet. Also, NEVER use human toothpaste on a dog. It makes them feel sick. You have to use dog toothpaste.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/31

Yes - I agree, you need to get him seen by a vet. This could be caused by bad teeth, in which case the dog could be in some discomfort. Or, he could have a sinus problem, or some other digestive issue.

If you have a kind vet, and you really can' t afford a consult, can' t you discuss maybe paying it off over two months?

Unfortunately, with pet ownership come responsibilities, and adequate medical care is one of them. I don' t know your circumstances, but personally, I' d make quite a few sacrifices in order to get my dogs treated, if I had to... see what you can do!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/31

Well, it could be a dental problem. What food is he on?
At least take him to the Vet for a general exam.
In the interim, don' t give any snacks etc, just his (good quality) dog kibble.
Best bet would be to take him to the Vet. A consultation these days shouldn' t be more that R140 - and it could be something very simple to correct OR something very serious if not treated now.

Reply to WR