Posted by: Kelly | 2009-04-15

Very Bad breath

HI Guys/CS

I have a huge problem!
My Dad has bad breath and we have told him- he knows this!
Hw will not go to the dentist, he will not go to the Dr. either.
He has teeth that needs to be extracted but he refuses to go!
My mom says he does not believe us when we tell him he has bad breath as he speaks directly in peoples faces as if he has the freshest breath on this planet.
This is like soo embarrassing.

He does however watches it when he is speaking to us as we will immediately tell him his breath smells or turn away from him.
I tend to stand a distance when speaking to him for my own safety and feel very sorry for others that he speaks to without a care in the he world.

We told him it could be something serious and he should have himself checked out but he refuses!
I told my mom that perhaps we should knock him out somehow and then have him taken to the dentist/doctor as we just cannot take it anymore!

What can we do!
If only we could have a court order him to go for a checkup or something or get locked up for air pollution...

Could one perhaps persuade him to at least move in the direction of mouth-wash ? As I gaze out of my hill-top window at the normally polluted air of Pretoria, I doubt you'd get any attention to his pollution. Compulsory treatment only applies where there's a definite severe and immediate risk to life, his or others, not embarrassment or unpleasantness.
Many people fear visits to the Dentist, and some counsellors use CBT to help someone become less apprehensive regarding such visits. Maybe get him some T-shirts imprinted, front and back : WARNING : Severe Local Air Pollution. ?

Posted by: Get a mask | 2009-04-16

Try wearing a surgical/Industrial dust mask around the house and maybe old stinker will get the message. Someone once remarked that this persons breath was so bad that they could knock a vulture off a dustbin from 50 meters away and peel the paint off a battle Tank !! Pheeeew !!

Reply to Get a mask
Posted by: Mom | 2009-04-16

Go to the pharmacy they have a type of salts that my daughter use' s very good for bad breath, my daughter has bleeding gums and her mouth smells as well, the cost is around R4000 to sort out.

Reply to Mom
Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-15

I can understand that bad breath is embarrassing - but it should only be embarrassing to HIM - not you. My opinion may not be right but - Why do you feel that what should only be his problem, is your problem too? Try to not allow him to affect you with this.

Perhaps a good shocking experience will catapult him into going to the dentist. If he' s not willing to admit that he has a problem - the underlying problem might be psychological. Don' t suggest counselling - demand it! And if he is not willing to go to that either - set ultimatums that you will be able to keep to. Setting an ultimatum and then not keeping to it will only make things worse instead of better...

Reply to Liza