Question
Posted by: Annalien | 2010/10/17

VERMOEDELIKE PANIEK AANVALLE

Ek vermoed ek kry paniek aanvalle, waar kry ek hulp begin ek by my GP of gaan ek regstreeks na ''n psigiater. Ek bly in die Noorde van Pretoria, help met ''n naam van '' psigiater sal help asb. Ek het pilletjies wat ek onder my tong sit maar kan nie normaal met dit funksioneer nie want dit laat my slaap

Some Gps may be experienced enough to help, but I think you'd do better to start by seeing a psychiatrist for a full assessment ( must be sure the diagnosis is correct, as some other conditions may seem similar to a panic atack ) and then to discuss treatment options. These might best include some medicines also used to treat Depression, and also a special form o counselling or psychotherapy, called CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which helps you to learn both to avoid such attacks and to control anxiety when it strts to rise.
The pills under the tongue sound like one of the benzodiazepine sedative / tranquillizers, which I would only consider as first aid - they can produce a rapid sense of calm ( but with the sleepiness you've noticed ), but they do nothing to cure or reduce the underlying condition.
As it takes a couple of weeks for the other meds to take effect, it might be useful to keep some of those underr-the-tongue meds around IF any attacks arise before the proper treatment takes a grip of the situation, but they are not adviseable for long-term use beyond a couple of months.

1