Posted by: Lou | 2009-04-07

Verbal abuse/threats of dismissal

I have worked for the same company for the last 24 years. About 4 years ago, the MD brought his son to work as a trader. It is not a family-owned business.
The son often has staff members in tears, due to verbal abuse (we are useless, b*tches, and worse).
I have encountered about 3 serious episodes of his behaviour, during which he also threatened to fire me (even though he is not in the position to do so, he could perhaps someday be in a more senior position).
I reported the incidents to the MD (he witnessed one of these), but nothing is done. I received the following reply from management : the absence of a formal code of conduct, we regard the matter as closed. I am embarassed, especially since other staff members could hear the abusive language, but do not know how to proceed.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Verbal abuse / threats of dismissal

It is suggested that you raise a grievance immediately. If this is not working then you need to go to the CCMA as soon as possible and claim an unfair labour practice.

Posted by: Me too | 2009-04-10

I would think that if u' ve been there 24 yrs already then U must b much older than him. Many of these bosses sons r no more than youg " snotkoppe "  trying to throw their weight around. Don' t give him the satisfaction of seeing U in tears - he gets a kick out of that. Go 2 the highest in sen. management that U can + tell them straight out that U refuse to take any more of this guy' s abuse. Tell them if they can' t sort it out then u' ll declare a dispute + go to ccma. Don' t let this child bully U. or anyone else. He must grow up or be put in his place once + for all. If he can' t fire U then u' ve nothing to worry about anyway, so do what U have to do. Good luck.

Reply to Me too
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-04-08

Next time he verbally abuses U just stand up 4 your rights + tell him in no uncertain terms that U will not take that kind of abuse + tell him straight out that he is not in a position 2 fire U anyway. Nowadays the law is very strict about firing people. Ask him straight out who does he think he' s talking to. It' s time someone put him in his place. Once he sees that he can' t bugger U around he' ll most likely leave U alone. This kind of person usually backs down when somebody stands up 2 them, I know because I' ve met a number of them in my time. Good luck.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: boo | 2009-04-07

Go above your boss. How can the company have been in existence for over 24 years and not have a code of conduct? Nepotism is unacceptable, as is the behaviour of the son, and the company' s reluctance to sort him out. If all else fails, go to the ccma and refer a dispute.

Reply to boo