Posted by: vero | 2011-11-03

ventilation tubes

Hello, can you pls help me. On May the doctor inserted ventilation tubes in both my ears and he said they will come out in 6months time, but until now they haven''t come out. What can I do for them to come out of my ears?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Vero

Six months is only an indication. Grommets fall out around that time, if they are short term grommets. It sounds as if that is what your ENT inserted. They will fall out when your eardrum dislodges them in it's own time.
They will cause no problems if they stay in for longer, as long as they are out within two years of having been placed. Ask your doctor to check if they are still in the eardrum, as they may be only lying in the earcanal, in which case they can fall out at any time.