Question
Posted by: KIM NGUYEN | 2009/10/23

VENTILATION

Dear expert,
I just bought a flat at the ground floor, and our bedroom window are open out to 5 parking bays of the block. I worry of my children health as one of my child is asthmatis. Please advise me, how can tell people do not park close to my bedrooms? what is the supposed space for our ventilation or what is the minimum distance from the room to the parked car? Is there any policy in this such matter?. Please advise what I should do to persuade people in the complex.
Thank you very much.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's going to be very difficult to persuade people not to use those parking bays; it's likely that they pay a monthly fee to use them. I can reassure you that I don't think this poses a serious health risk though. Vehicle pollution is always best avoided, and it can worsen asthma. But the major risk is when people spend a lot of time near busy roads, especially with slow-moving, bumper-to-bumper traffic. The level of pollution will not be very high where cars are mostly standing with their engines turned off. (I'm assuming these are uncovered parking bays.) What you could maybe ask people in the complex is to avoid idling their engines (i.e. sitting stationary with the engine on) outside your windows. It's more important to keep your windows open and encourage a good circulation of air indoors; indoor air pollution is usually more of a problem for asthma sufferers than outdoor. Never allow smoking inside and avoid the use of chemical substances that give off funes.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2009/10/27

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert