Question
Posted by: Atir | 2012-03-25

Venlor XR 75 &  Prolactin Levels

I have been using Venlor XR 75 for 9 months now. Is it possible to only start experiencing less frequent side effects like elevated prolactin levels and menorraghia now from this or should I rather have the symptoms investigated further? I am not pregnant and have not breastfed in 18 months but now have a milky discharge again and I understand that this is due to high prolactin levels. I am also not ovulating according to my Gynea. I have lost weight (am now 55kg / 1.76 m) and bruise very easily. My blood pressure is also very low(80/50). Can all this be caused by the Venlor or are there other possibilities?

I don't use Venlor, XR or otherwise. Side-effects of most drugs are likely to show in the first month or so, though some ( it can be very specific to a particular side-effect ) can take some time to develop.
I don't at all like the sound of your symptoms, which might be related to a less common reaction to the Venlor, or some other drug, or could have a number of other possible causes. It would however be VERY important to see a doctor, maybe the prescribing psychiatrist or a specialist physician, for a full assessment of the symptoms you describe. Call your psychiatrist ( such treatments should not be prescribed solely by a GP ) for advice, and check what your gynae says, as ovulation an d discharge problems would be well within his experience

1