Question
Posted by: Charlotta | 2010-12-08

Venlor XR 150mg &  Lithium

My psigiater het nou lithium voorgeskryf om saam met Venlor te gebruik. Ek is nie bipolar nie. Ek is nie te seker van die kombinasie nie, ek het dit nog nie gekry nie. Ek oorweeg dit ook om n ander psgiater te gaan sien, want my depressie word net nie gelig nie. Hy klink vir my redelik moedeloos met my en beveel skokterapie ten sterkste aan. Ek sal nie daarvoor gaan nie, was jare gelede vir 6 en ek lei vandag nog aan depressie. Sal graag dr se mening wil hoor. Dankie

Lithium has been in use for many years and can be very helpful in treating Bipolar Disorder. It isn't usually used simply to treat Depression - BUT in situations where several antidepressants have been tried on their own, and a depression is not responding to these usual treatments, some psychiatrists will use other drugs as "adjuvants" to improve the effectiveness of the antidepressant, and this might be Lithium some might even use thyroxine. So what has been suggested makes some sense and could be reasonable. But as you seem to have doubts it might be worth arraging to see a different psychiatrist for a second opinion, taking with you a proper outline of all your previous treatments.

1