Posted by: Blondie | 2011-07-26

Vein under eye

Hi I need to find a vein specialist ( dr) the best . I have a large blue vein under my eye and want it removed . I have noted there is a procedure offered overseas ( the below is a piece taken from the overseas site )

Veins Under the Eyes

Some patients have prominent or bulging veins immediately below the eye that are unsightly and contribute to a facial appearance of fatigue or swelling. Occasionally these veins may cause discomfort. Unlike spider veins that occur in the top layer of the skin, these veins are in the fat layer just below the skin. They are abnormally large for this area of the face and cause bulging of the overlying skin.

Treatment of the Veins Under the Eyes

Sclerotherapy (injection of chemicals that damage the vein causing clots to form and leading to the body''s removal of the vein) may be inadvisable near the eye. At Dallas Vein Specialists microphlebectomy under local anesthesia is safe and has resulted in excellent cosmetic results. This technique involves small incisions through which the veins are removed. No skin sutures are required. Any bruising or swelling usually resolves within 2 weeks. Complete healing occurs in 2 to 3 weeks. Patients are able to resume most usual activities on the following day. No eye patching is necessary.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Blondie, thank you for the question.
Your best advice would be to check the Dermatology Society of South Africa’s webpage ( and contact them directly for the closest doctor who performs sclerotherapy of veins.