Question
Posted by: Sebe | 2010-07-28

vegetarian diet

I''ve recently decided to become vegetarian. I''ve been on the diet for about a month now. My concern is that I am aware, and even more now that I''ve been reading on the cons, that my sources of iron are limited and that the absorption from vegetable-source (and I love lentils so it''s no problem to eat a lot of these) proteins is quite low. Should I consider supplements, as I know that iron is quite essential for women of child-bearing age. Further, if I should take them, should I get supplements that contain all vitamins, is there anything such as taking too much micro-nutrients?

Thanks.

Dear Sebe
Vegetarians who still drink milk and eat dairy foods (yoghurt and cheeses) and eggs, usually do not suffer from calcium and iron deficiencies. Legumes like lentils, dry, cooked peas, beans and soya also contain iron, as do wholegrains, iron-fortified breakfast cereals, maize meal and wheat bread (the latter 2 products are fortified with iron by government regulation). Dried fruit like raisins with pips (chew the pips) also contribute to iron intake. If you start developing symptoms of iron deficiency like extreme tiredness, constant yawning, breathlessness, inability to concentrate, dizziness and fainting spells, irritability - all caused by the fact that the blood is not able to transport as much oxygen to the tissues when a patient has iron-deficiency anaemia, then you can consider taking an iron-folic acid supplement like Ferro-Folate (buy at chemist). Using a specific supplement like this will prevent you having to take a multivitamin and mineral product which could overload you with micronutrients.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-28

Dear Sebe