Question
Posted by: liz | 2010-06-10

Vegetarian diet

Hi, I have become a vegetarian, but do eat eggs. I take a multi vit, zinc tablet, Fish oil and vit c tablet daily. However since becoming a vegetarian (4 months ago), I seem to get winter colds and flu quite often. I do eat healthily and ensure I get enough protein, but my skin just keeps breaking out and I don''t feel healthy.

Dear Liz
If you still drink milk and eat dairy products (yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses), together with the eggs then following a vegetarian diet should not be causing deficiencies. If you do not use any dairy products then you may have a calcium deficiency which could affect your immunity. When you mention that you take a multivitamin does this also contain calcium and iron? If not you may need to take a calcium supplement like MenaCal.7 and FerroFolic to boost your iron levels. If being a vegetarian is not making you feel well then do consider at least using milk, dairy products and fish if you can't face meat.
If you continue to feel so poorly then please have a medical checkup and mention to the dr that you are a vegetarian so that he/she checks your iron, calcium, etc.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-06-10

Dear Liz