Posted by: Zest | 2009-02-03

Vegetarian diet

Hi there, I' m a vegetarian and have been for over 20 years (I' m 29). I am 5.6/7 and currently weigh just under 65kg. I realise this is not overweight, but over the past year and a half I have put on 5 kg (I moved to SA and put on most of the weight over the first 6 months). I work out at the gym, and go to capoeira classes twice a week, and consider myself to eat healthily - lots of fresh fruit and veggies, drink no caffeine (I drink herbal or roibus teas with no milk of sugar) - perhaps a bit too much cheese at times, and perhaps too many glasses of wine (anything from 0 per week to 2 bottles per week). I really want to shift this extra 5kg but am not sure exactly how to, without drastically cutting back my intake of food. I am a vegetarian and find healthy eating plans frustrating as they always include meat - I need some tips on how to eat healthier on a vegetarian diet in order to shift this extra 5 kg. Your expertise would be hugely appeciated. I have requested a no-nonsense daily health tip - but I would really appreciate the tips to be vegetarian....Thank you!

Dear Zest
If you need to lose those 5 kg then you can achieve this by reducing your fat intake (each gram of fat provides 37 kJ whereas carbohydrates and proteins, including plant proteins, provide 16 and 17 kJ per gram). Cheeses generally contain between 42 and about 12 g of fat per 100g, so changing to low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese 4.5 and 1g of fat/100g respectively), and/or Ricotta (7.9g of fat/100g) should reduce your fat and energy intake. Also use fat-free milk and yoghurt and go easy on added oil in cooking and salads. If you combine this reduction in fat intake with an increase of cardio exercises in the gym (cardio exercises burn more energy than working with weights), you should be able to shed those 5 kg. I do not prepare the daily health tip so cannot guarantee that it will be vegetarian.