Question
Posted by: Susan | 2010-05-26

Vegetarian Baby

Hi, my baby is 7 months old and we plan to raise her vegetarian. My clinic advised lentils, steamed or boiled for her protein source. I hear that lentils give stomach cramps. Do you think its fine to feed her at this age? Any other advice or veg protein sources?

Dear Susan
I think it is important that you consult a clinical dietitian before you put a baby younger than 1 year on a vegetarian diet. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will have to assess her growth and help you plan what foods you can include in her diet so that she grown properly and does not develop protein, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin B12 and omega-3 deficiencies.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-26

Dear Susan