Question
Posted by: lara | 2012-12-03

vegetarian

I''m a mostly a vegetarian except I eat fish and am wondeing what to feed my 5 1/2 month baby to make sure that she gets enough protein and iron. Also when and how to introduce things like fish and egg?

Dear Lara
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. According to nutrition experts infants should preferably be given only breastmilk until they are 6 months old, after which foods such as infant porridges, pureed vegetables and pureed fruit can gradually be introduced. As the baby learns to eat and accept other foods you can introduce cooked, finely minced meat with smooth, mashed butternut or potatoes. Milk is still the best source of high quality protein in a child's life, but it is not rich in iron. Thus it would be advisable to introduce meat, fish and eggs (provided your lassie is not allergic to eggs), so that she obtains some easily absorbable iron. Have your baby assessed regularly at the clinic so that the doctor or nurse can indicate if she needs to take a kiddie's iron and vitamin formula at any stage. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Infant diets'.