Question
Posted by: Martin | 2010/06/19

Vegetarian

I have been vegetarian for 4 yrs now but my health
has detiorated.What tests can I go far,I know there is a B12 and Iron test , is there a test to show Omega (efa) in the body etc

Dear Martin
One of the other Readers alerted me to the fact that he had posted a question after I had already departed on my vacation, so I checked and also came across your posting. I do know that there are tests to determine the omega-3 and -6 content of foods, but I am not sure if the Path Labs do such tests on blood samples. You will have to check with your gp or phone your local Lancet or Ampath Laboratory (they are listed in the telephone book) to find out if they do such tests. You can always take omega-3 supplements like Salmon oil capsules to boost your EPA and DHA intake (if you can use a supplement derived from fish?) or use flaxseed capsules if you are a strict vegetarian or vegan. Flaxseed, canola and soya oils contain an omega fatty acid called alpha-linoleic acid (ALA) which is not as effective as taking the fish oil which already contains EPA and DHA, because the body has to convert the ALA to EPA and DHA, but it will improve your omega-3 intake.

1

Dear Martin