Posted by: kaaj | 2009-01-10

Vegetaian Baby

I wish to raise my 8.5 month old baby as a vegetarian but I am having second thoughts on it. Is it better to raise a baby on meat? If i do stay the veggie route, what are the best food options to ensure that he will get all the nutrients required?

Dear Kaaj
Wishing you all the best for 2009. Basically it is best for babies and young children to obtain some protein and calcium from animal sources (for example milk, yoghurt, cheeses and cottage cheese, and eggs) because the protein in these foods is more complete than in plant proteins. If you give your son an Ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet and supplement his diet with 2-3 small portions of meat (for iron) and fish (for omega-3 fatty acids) every week then he should do well. Do NOT give a child a vegan diet as this could result in growth failure. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the article on infant feeding to see what and how much he needs to eat every day.