Question
Posted by: ANRE | 2010/06/08

Vegetables and spastic colon

Hi, I''m sure I''ve posted about this before, but cannot find it in the archives...

I have a spastic colon problem and I used the LLPV22 Pills for a while and it seemed to help at the time. I''ve stopped using them now.

I am following the Weight Watchers weight loss program at the moment and I try to eat alot of veggies. The only problem is, I find that about an hour after I''ve eaten them (Mostly a combination of corn on the cob, potato, gem squash, yellow and green pattipans and green beans) my stomach is really bloated and gassy. And it is really stinky!

Which foods and veggies should I avoid to try and alleviate the problem. I also sometimes find that the same thing happens when I have chicken?

Any help?

Dear Andre
Bloating after eating specific foods when one has a spastic colon, is unfortunately an individual reaction. Some patients develop bloating when they eat white bread, others when they eat brown bread, etc. You can try keeping a food diary for a week or 2 to record which foods you eat (eat one veg at a time) and how your body reacts, and then avoid the offending foods. None of the vegetables you list are known for forming gas, so this is an example of the type of individual reaction I mentioned. I would recommend that you start using probiotics again and that you try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. If you find that you cannot control your bloating then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you sort out which foods to eat and which ones you need to avoid.
I hope you can control the bloating

1

Dear Andre
I hope you can control the bloating