Posted by: Jodi Allemeier | 2011-04-05

vegan diet

Your article on vegan diets exposed your utter lack of knowledge on the issue.

Yes the baby diet from malnutrition, no that is not a result of veganism but a result of an unhealthy and neglecting parent. If a meat-eater is malnourished, we don''t blame the fact that they eat meat, we say they didnt eat a balanced diet.

Your conclusion that children should not be fed a vegan diet is erroneous and goes against all scientific research into the matter. You are promoting feeding children a diet that is known to contribute to cancers, heart disease, diabetes, ostoperosis, acne, asthma, excema, alzheimers, sexual dysfunction, cataracts etc etc etc over promoting a diet that is balanced without introducing all of these risks.

The mother should have eaten a proper vegan diet, there is no need to eat eggs etc as you suggest - she was just an unhealthy vegan (like the millions of unhealthy meat-eaters out there) but she does not in anyway prove that its not possible to be a healthy vegan, and a healthy breast-feeding vegan, of a healthy vegan baby.

There are millions of vegans-from-birth out there who prove this, as does lots of research on the matter, which clearly you failed to consult in writing this piece that attacks veganism instead of a parent who failed to meet the nutritional needs of her child.

Please read the ADA position paper on the matter, as well as research listed below (cannot insert hyperlinks!):

vrg. org / nutrition / 2009 _ ADA _ position _ paper. pdf

veganhealth . org / # kids

pcrm. org

To conclude that children should not be fed a vegan diet flies in the face of research on the matter and just shows that you are lazy - you take what mass media is doing and regurgitate it regardless of the fact that it has been debunked many times over - this is a case of an unhealthy and neglectful person who happened to also be vegan. Not a case of someone trying to be a healthy vegan and failing because its impossible - because the fact is, its not impossible.

There is an online course offered by Cornell University on plant based nutrition. Perhaps you should consider taking it before spreading more false information.

Dear Jodi
Thank you for your contribution.

Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-04-05

Hi Jodi

I recently became Vegetarian about + a month ago. I however could not give up milk yet. Its a work in progress. BUT since I did become vegetarian I knew it was up to me to include all the different viarities of veg, fruit , grains and plant proteins etc into my diet so I dont lack in anything.

Its up to the person inbarking on the journey to make sure that you have the knowledge to help your body and also feed it right.

I use to hate cooking but now spend a lot of time preparing healthy meat free meals which include lots o different plant proteins, grains and vegetables. I also dont eat eggs. Started eating fruit at least 2 a day.

So the choice made me healthier and I feel more energetic.

TO study what your body need and then getting all the different minerals, calcium, vitamines and protein from meat free foods its very duable.

I do however feel that people should study the choice to become vegetarian / vegan so they dont hurt themselves by not getting in all the nutrients they need. BUT that is up to the indivudual in the end.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-04-05

Dear Jodi
Thank you for your contribution.