Posted by: Frustrated mom | 2009-02-04

Vegan diet

Hi, My 19 year old daughter has been a vegan for about a year now. She does eat nuts and seeds occasionaly and most of the Frys soya products, however does not eat a lot of veggies . She takes Autrin iron tabs, as she has low iron, but i am unsure if that is enough. Please can u recommend a good vitamin supplemnt that she can take? i have also noticed a change in her menstrual cycle as well. Thank you

Dear Frustrated Mom
I can imagine that you must be frustrated with your daughter's eating habits. However, as I said in this week's DietDoc Topic, vegans can eat a reasonably well balanced diet provided they eat a variety of plant foods. It sounds as if your daughter is not doing this and this is already leading to deficiencies (her low iron levels and the change in her menstrual pattern). I wonder if she is not also leaning towards anorexia is she eats so little? Encourage her to eat a more varied diet if possible. She can use Supradyn Forte together with the Autrin iron tablets to supply additional B vitamins, esp vit B12 (which is lacking in a vegan diet), iron, and zinc. For her calcium intake she should be using Mena-Cal.7 which provides calcium, vit D and vit K2. Then there is the problem of an omega-3 deficiency - for this she can use flaxseed oil capsules.
Holding thumbs for both of you