Posted by: Nel | 2009-09-13

I recently made the change in my diet from vegetarian to vegan. I am concerned about the amounts of nutriants I am getting. My main concern are my B vitamins and folic acids, I do take vitamin pills specifically for these deficiancies. Are there any foods that I can eat to enhance my b vit consumption??
What other deficiancies should I be concerned about with the new diet change??

Dear Nel
The vegan diet can lead to deficiencies of vitamin B12, iron, zinc, calcium, protein and omega-3 fatty acids, so it may be a good idea to use a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn-Forte, plus additional calcium supplements such as Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz. Try using legumes and seeds like flaxseed, to boost your omega-3 intake. Eat plenty of legumes (dry, cooked or canned beans, peas and lentils plus soy beans and soy bean products) to increase your plant protein intake. Because of the risk of anaemia due to your potentially low iron and vit B12 intakes, it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup every 6 months.