Question
Posted by: Kim | 2012-01-17

VBAC

Hi, Doc

I am currently 38 weeks preg.
I gave birth by c-section 20 months ago to a premature baby. I had PET.
I had given birth to a still-born baby viginally in 2006 Dec at 35 weeks. It is not known what resulted on the death of the fetus.

In this pregnancy I have had no health problems at all and my weight gain is within the range i.e. around 14kg.
I was 58kg when I fell preg. I hav been exercising throughout this pregnancy (my Dr''s advice) and only stopped last week at his advice.
I have never had any health problems since the delivery of my 2nd baby.
The fetus weight is estimated at 3.2kg as of today.

I would like to hear your opinion on me going for viginal birth on this pregnancy, taking into account my history and the current state. Please also let me know what I can expect, etc.

I should say that my doctor and I agreed that I''ll try viginal birth. I am asking you for second opinion.

If you have had a normal pregnancy then there is no reason why you should not attempt a VBAC. Obviously it is not always possible to predict the small risk of something unexpected going wrong. With your history, you might decide that you do not wish to take even that small risk. However, if you go for the VBAC, you will obviously need careful monitoring and your chances of a vaginal delivery would be about 50%.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-01-19