Question
Posted by: Mom | 2009/09/07

VBAC

Hi Gynaedoc
I am hoping you can help me.
I am really battling to find information on VBACs for South African women. I have found plenty of information on US and UK sites and have read lots of sucess stories as well as tragic ones but I have not found information on one South African women having a VBAC is SA.
Are VBACs done in SA private hospitals? If so is it common or rare?
Have you delivered a VBAC baby and if so was the outcome positive or do you know of any vbac deliveries by SA doctors?
I have read up on risks involved etc so I am aware of the ins and outs my question really, is where can I find South African information on VBACs and how do I find a gynae who is pro this procedure.
My current gynae is not negotiable about a vbac and will not do it, where to next?
I am in Durban and I want to go for a second opinion but I do not know where to start!
Thank you for your time.

I don't think that the risks or success of VBAC varies from country to country. Overall the success rate is about 40%, meaning that there is a 60% chance of ending up with an emergency caesarean in labour.
I can't give you a SA website to look at. However, I do know that most private gynaecologists do not do VBACS. The reason for this is that, because of the risks, there should really be a doctor with the patient throughout the labour, and this is not possible with private doctors. In state hospitals, there are junior doctors in the labour ward all the time, so it is more commonly done here.