Question
Posted by: Alison Lee-Marshall | 2011/06/14

Vault prolapse

Hello.

I''m writing on behalf of my mom, a housewife, who''s turning 67 next month.

In January of 2010, my mom had vault prolapse surgery to lift her bladder, because she was experiencing contstant dripping, which was costing her a fortune on things like medications (water pills and hormone patches) and panty liners.

The surgery was done, and the doctor said it was a success and her bladder was lifted nice and high with mesh, so there should be a major improvement.

Since the surgery, there has been no improvement, and regular bladder infection, and her gynae keeps telling her to change her hormone patch every time, and is ignoring the fact that there has been no change (even though every time she goes to see her, there''s always loads of urine staying behind in her bladder, which was part of the proginal problem).

My mom is still spending loads of money (besides the enormous bill she paid for the surgery and hospital at the time) on pantyliners and the patch (goes between estradot and climara).

Is this something she just has to live with, or should she go for a second opinion. Her gynae used to send her regular letters for check-ups, but has since been ignoring her, as if she knows she did something wrong....?

My mom is very frustrated by all this, because she was told that the surgery would " improve her quality of life" .

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately, bladder surgery, even if correctly done, does not always work.It may be that her problem is not just prolapse, but irritable bladder or some other form of bladder problem. A second opinion may be a good idea.

1