Posted by: Lisa | 2011/10/24


Hi Dr,

My husband had a vasectomy 11 years ago, he''s 44 and quite active. He wants to have a child with me now, i''m 31.

What are the best options to concieve?

Can I do AI, is it possible, I don''t want to do IVF? What is the average cost and who would i call, does a gynea or a urologist do this?

I''ve called around for prices of a Vaso-vasectomy and success rates and the Dr i have found has a very high success rate.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Lisa

If you don’t want to do IVF then your only option is for your husband to have a reversal of vasectomy. Success rates of reversal of vasectomy are much higher if done within the first few years after the vasectomy. In your husbands particular case it has been over 10 years and therefore his chances of success will be somewhat lower. But however it still may be worth a try. If after the reversal his semen analysis parameters remain normal then you may be able to either fall pregnant spontaneously or one can do artificial insemination. If however his volume is extremely low or his morphology and antibody levels are also effected badly then you will only be able to know this after the vasectomy is done then you may have to resort to IVF. I am not sure of the average cost but it is not done by gynaecologist it is normally done by an urologist.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.