Question
Posted by: Starting out | 2011-10-25

Vasectomy Reversal / Testicular Aspiration

I am in a relationship with a man who had a vasectomy 8 years ago. I would like to know which is a better option if we decided we would like to have children - reversal of vasectomy or to do the aspiration and ICSI? Cost / safety / chances of success etc. I know that I can fall pregnant as have been pregnant before but unfortunately had a miscarriage at just under 3 months. I am 35 and he is 40 so time does become an issue.

Dear Starting out

As you are already 35 then I agree with you that time becomes somewhat of an issue. If you were under 35 then you may have taken the option of reversal of vasectomy and waited a few years to see if there is any success. So my advice to you is that your bets option at this stage is to rather have IVF/ ICSI. The success rates of IVF/ICSI with a testicular biopsy is on average about 40%per cycle but it is highly dependent on the number of embryos transferred as well the quality of the embryos that one has achieved to grow. The success rates of IVF starts dropping from the age of 40 and there is a dramatic drop after 38.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo