Question
Posted by: Heloise Viljoen | 2010-04-17

Vasectomy reversal

Good Day Dr,

My husband had a vasectomy 4 years ago, the tubes were cut of, approxiamtely 1,5cm both sides. What will be the best option, a reversal or a sperm inplant, is this possible and what will be the cost for both options.

Kind Regards

Dear Heloise Viljoen

For the purpose of successful conception the vasectomy reversal is a fairly poor option due to the inadequate amount of sperm that is released in the ejaculate despite successful reconnection of the tubes. Very rarely is the quality of the sperm optimal for natural conception and the presents of anti-sperm anti-bodies make conception even more difficult. Therefore the more reliable and suitable method is the testicular aspiration or testicular biopsy method coupled with in-vitro fertilization. The cost of the two methods are approximately the same and should you include the cost of the recovery period then the testicular aspiration/biopsy method may in fact prove to be more cost effective.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-04-29

Dear Heloise Viljoen

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert