Question
Posted by: help | 2008/09/05

vasectomy reversal

could you please tell me if there is success of falling pregnant after a vasectomy reversal, are there any other alternatives and where can i find a specialist in Durban.

Dear help

Reversal of vasectomy has a chance of success for achieving a pregnancy. However the success rate would depend on the length of time when the reversal is done after the vasectomy, the type of vasectomy and the healing process. In good hands one may be able to achieve a pregnancy rate of around 30%. The alternative to a vasectomy reversal is a process of in-vitro fertilization with ICSI. Sperms are obtained either via an epididymal or testicular aspirate and then utilized in the ICSI program. For this you will need to find a fertility specialist in the Durban area.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Durban Pixie | 2008/09/10

There is no guarantee of a reversal being successful. It all depends on how long ago the vasec was done and if there is much scarring too. The only option available for you is to do the IVF route with ICSI, your husband would have to have his sperm aspirated with a needle and then used in the ICSI procedure where one sperm is injected into one of your eggs in the lab and then put back into you. I know exactly what you are going through, my fiance had his done over 12 years ago so ICSI is our only option. A reversal costs about the same as ICSI depending on where you go. Dr Hansen I believe is very good in Durban, but we are seeing Dr Hogewind in Pretoria, lots of travel, but he is cheaper. Good luck.

Reply to Durban Pixie