Posted by: David | 2011-05-10

Vasectomy in South Africa

My wife and I are both over 32 and have three beautiful children and are considering methods of permanent birth control. I have done some research on the web and have found that male vasectomy is actually more effective, and less risky than the tubal ligation procedure for females.

I was just wondering what are the options in SA? Does anyone have experience with the public health system? Can anyone refer a private practitioner? How much does it cost to have it done privately?

Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

I suggest that you consult an urologist. The vasectomy is much safer than tubal ligation and the vasectomy can be done in the consultation room of the urologist. I am not sure what an urologist will charge for the procedure but I am sure that the receptionist will be able to give you an estimate. In the public health sector, the procedure will most likely be free of charge. Unfortunately, you will have to wait your turn which can be a couple of weeks or even months.