Question
Posted by: Andre | 2010-07-06

Vasectomy and fertility

I had a vasectomy nearly 6 years ago. A mutual agreemnt between me and the then girl friend, now the wife.

she is 40 and I am 47.

Well now she is considering having children again. Can a vasectomy still successfully be " undone" 

If not are there any other methods " artificial etc"  whereby she can become pregnant. We would actually like to follow this route is we have predetermined ideas on how many kids and what sex they must be. this due to us both having kids from previous marriages

Dear Andre

A vasectomy can be successfully reversed however it is not always that it can be reversed successfully. The average success rate of a reversal would be in the region of 20%-30% but it varies depending in the type of vasectomy done and the length of time from the time of the vasectomy to the time of the reversal. However in your particular case in-vitro fertilization is also a possibility and in this particular instance sperm will have to be removed from the testis either via aspiration or through a small testis biopsy. Sperms can then be utilized in an in-vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle using a procedure called ICSI (Intracytoplasmic sperm injection). It is important that if you are attempting to have any assisted reproductive techniques to assist you in achieving a pregnancy you need to act quite soon as already your wife is 40 years old and that already poses a reduced chance of success with IVF.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-07-16

Dear Andre

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Heine | 2010-07-08

I had mine done 21 yrs ago,(47) my wife to be (46) wants kids,if possible.I heard its unhealthyfor her at this age,Dr'' cant garantee that the child will be healthy,im in a fix,she want sperm drawn from me etc. PLS NO JERKS WITH ADVICE,but people with knowledge or similar experiences.

Help PLEASE

Reply to Heine