Posted by: Gert Malan | 2012-05-22

Can you please give me advice i had a vasectomy more than 15 years ago,we want to have another baby.My wife is fertile and blood test showed that i still have sperm.What is the best and cheapest way to get her pregnand again.

Dear Gert Malan

Reversal of the vasectomy is very seldom if ever associated with successful pregnancy outcome. This is due to the fact that despite successfully producing sperm in the ejaculate the quality of the sperm is hardly ever good enough to obtain a pregnancy either through natural intercourse or intrauterine insemination. This implies that you would be faced with in-vitro fertilization [IVF] together with its cost in addition to the cost of the reversal. Therefore the most cost effective approach would be to directly proceed to testis biopsy/ testis aspiration coupled with IVF which will give you not only a higher success in terms of pregnancy rate but also the least traumatic approach.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim