Posted by: Lee | 2012-02-29

I read an article lately about a new procedure whereby sperm can be obtained from a man who has had a vasectomy without undoing the vasectomy. I would appreciate any information regarding this or anywhere else I might be able to obtain this information.

Dear Lee
It is certainly possible to extract sperm directly form the testicles or from the epididymis (a small distended or dilated area which sperm is stored, just attached to the testicle). The process by which sperm is obtained varies according to the circumstance but can be done through a needle aspiration or by means of a small testicular biopsy. Both these procedures can be done under local anesthesia and are regarded as minimally invasive. The sperm obtained can be immediately frozen and can be used later in the in-vitro fertilization / microinjection process (ICSI).
Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim