Posted by: Al | 2012-02-28

I''m 18 and I suffer from Marfan Syndrome and manic depression. I''ve known this for the past four years. Because of the risk of transmission to children and due to the fact that I''ve simply never seen myself having children, I''m considering a vasectomy as an option. If I wanted children during my life, I would prefer to adopt and I don''t want to take any risks in a committed relationship - normal contraception still leaves that 1% chance.

My psychologist said that she''s sure I made a rational, well thought out decision that I''ve been considering for a very long time and would write a recommendation if it should come to that.

Do you know of any doctors in the East Rand (or even Pretoria) who would be willing to help? What are my next steps?

Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and is not familiar with urologist in your area. Contact your nearest private hospital for details.

Posted by: Al | 2012-03-04

Thanks, doctor. If I may ask one more question, would you consider my reasons for doing this to be valid? If someone came to you with a situation like mine, I mean?

Reply to Al