Question
Posted by: baby blues | 2011/03/09

Vasectomy

Could the doctor or anyone tell me whether there is a slight possibility of falling pregnant 5 years after a vasectomy and if not what would be the best method/ treatment to go for. Willing to travel so which is the cheapest clinic to contact? I hear ivf is very expensive, is there any way we could do artificial insemination?Thank you very much

Dear Baby Blues

There are two options available post vasectomy. The one involves reversal of vasectomy but would not be my first choice since it is only rarely that the semen quality is of a sufficiently good value so as to allow natural conception. There is a tendency for antibody production after vasectomy and its reversal and also the amount of sperm in the ejaculate is usually of a very low quantity and quality. The post vasectomy reversal sperm quality is also not good enough in most instances for an intrauterine insemination and this would mean that even after the reversal there would be a need in most cases for in-vitro fertilization (IVF). The more logical option would therefore be to do a testis biopsy which is a small procedure done as an out-patient in which the sperm is extracted from the testical directly and then frozen and is subsequently used in IVF anyway. This option is not only cost effective but also much successful than the other option mentioned.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/03/17

Dear Baby Blues

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert