Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/11/16

Vasectomy

My husband had a vasectomy 4 weeks ago. We have had only a few times since then as he had pain for about 2 weeks in his testicles. I have heard in the mean time that you cannot have unprotected sex for the first 2 months after a vesectomy. Is this true? What is the chances that I could have fallen pregnant or is it slim?

Hallo Mandy
You can still fall pregnant just after a vasectomy for although the tubes are now tied off, there may still be active sperm in the residual seminal fluid. Some sperm survive in the 'upstream' part of the vas deferens for several weeks after vasectomy. About eight weeks after the operation you need to go for a semen test. They look at the semen under the microscope to check for sperm. If the fluid is clear of sperm you are safe from pregnancy.You still need to use other forms of contraception, such as condoms, until you get confirmation that no sperm is present.
He should not really have pain in the testicles after a vasectomy so there may be something else wrong like an infection (orchitis) and maybe he should see your GP for this.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/16

Hallo Mandy