Posted by: concerned | 2009-09-16

I have read so many complications associated with having a vasectomy, such as ' if it works don' t fix it'  My husband is due to have one next week and he spoke to the urologist about the complications and he is lead to believe they are very mild if any. Is this true?
He has an auto immune health issue already, will it be worsened as I read that with the sperm' leaking'  into the blood system causes an auto immune response over time.

Do we need to be concerend or not?

you have posed a very controversial question that will require an individual response and treatment. Regarding whether vasectomy leads to immune reactions please see below:

As summarized in NICHD page, "After vasectomy, the testes continue to make
sperm. When the sperm cells die, they are absorbed by the body, much like
unused sperm in a nonvasectomized man. Nevertheless, many vasectomized men
develop immune reactions to sperm, although current evidence indicates that
these reactions do not cause any harm. Ordinarily, sperm do not come in
contact with immune cells, so they do not elicit an immune response. But
vasectomy breaches the barriers that separate immune cells from sperm, and
many men develop anti-sperm antibodies after undergoing the procedure. This
has given rise to concern on the part of doctors and researchers, because
immune reactions against parts of one's own body sometimes cause disease.
Rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile diabetes, and multiple sclerosis are just
some of the illnesses suspected or known to be caused by immune reactions
of this type."

however, due to the fact that auto-immune disease varies in severity and a number of contributing factors can be present, it is maybe best to consult with your local GP who is aware of your husband's condition. if it is not such a severe case he will consent to the operation. if not, he will advice you on getting a second opinion.

due to the number of risks associated with your particular case and your relative unease, it may be better to ask your GP for a full range of alternatives to vasectomy - there are numerous birth-control methods that are tailor-made for various life-style choices.