Posted by: sandra | 2012-11-27

vascular stents

Hope you will be able to give some advise doc, I have has 2 vascular stents inserted within 2 months, my arteries are blocked, ai m 54 years old and a non smoker,after the second stent my legs are full of think black/blue marks and some pain in my leg, this is very worring to me and wonder what could be causing these marks, i am currently on blood thinners after the stent, do you think I should get a 2nd opionion from another vascular surgeon, is this dangerous?..amy thanks

The blue marks are due to bruising caused by the blood thinning medication. This is not dangerous and you should be careful not to be too active and especially avoid any contact sport while you are on the medication. Please remember that the blood thinning agents are essential and should not be stopped. You can take Panado to alleviate the pain and use heat and cold compress on the areas of concern. If you experience any nose bleeds, vommiting of blood or blood per stool, you will have to consult your surgeon as soon as possible.

Posted by: sandra | 2013-05-20

Good Day, is there any othe way to ascertain whether a vasular stent is blocked other than going into theartre,initially I had a angiogram which damaged something so blood flow to my leg was minimul resuling in having continous pain in my righ leg, seen a vascular surgeon who then inserted a stent,evena after that I still had the same experiance ,went in to have another stent inserted and after the procedure the doc told me the first one was blocked, I still have leg pain and the vasuclar surgeon says now it has to do with my back,hence the reason I would like to know is there any other way the stent can be checked for blockage by scan, xray or something other than having to be in theatre

Reply to sandra