Question
Posted by: Dy3 | 2008/09/29

vascular or nerve intrapment?

I am 38 years old - 2 children 7 and 1.5 - on the Meryna IUD for app 5 monthes. Bad experience with contraseptives -headachs -havent used for years. I have been having severe headaches for the last year once or twice a month that start behind my ear move down my neck and over my head into my eye and teeth down in my jaw. It feels like my eye wants to pop and all my theeth wants to explode get nausea from pain. Painpills dont (used Tramal codiene and muscle relaxants) work at all and only mobilazation and traction from my fisiotherapist work to relieve the pain and take it away compleately within one hour of treatment. Problem is I can not have a Physio 24 houers at my side. I charted my headaches trying to find an pattern and what I found was it usualy happen pre menstrual and sometimes in mid cycle. Could hormonal changes cause swelling in my neck area - causing pinching? The onse of these attacs are getting much faster and disables me in a very short time period - slight pain for 2-3 hours
then sudden change within minutes to full attack.
I am at a loss - only medical problem is a lack of sleep (prolonged sleep) due to children with very bad sleeping habits. - causing
muscle spasms leeding to fybromyalgia

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Dy3,

If you have a regular cycle, then it means that your hormone levels are normal. Headaches related to changes in hormone levels usually indicate that the body is responding in an abnormal way to the normal hormone fluctuations that occur during the menstrual cycle.

The best approach to dealing with the problem is to diagnose why your body is reacting abnormally to your normal hormone fluctuations. It is important to remember that the change in hormone levels is only a trigger, not the underlying cause of the pain. To find out why your body reacts in this way, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. This must include an assessment of the tension in the head and neck muscles. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, you need the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.