Question
Posted by: Maine | 2008/10/03

VARIOUS WORK ISSUES

i have been working for the same company for nearly 2 years. I still do not have a contract. I am looking for another job. What notice should I give? My bosses religion has our offices close certain days of the year. We are not allowed to work, and although some might think this is great, I am expected to work on Sundays to make up for it. Can I refuse to do this?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

you need to give 30 days notice after one year service. You can refuse to work on Sundays this is not in your contract of employment.

1
Posted by: DEREK | 2008/10/03

I was once in the same position. When I joined the firm I told the owner that working on Sundays is out 4 me, because I' m the choirmaster, organist + a sundayschool teacher in our congregation. So he was aware of this right from the start. The business closed on his religious holidays + we were told to work the following 2 Sundays. I refused, we had a confrontation over the issue but I stood my ground. When I asked him how he could expect me to respect his faith when he did not respect mine then he backed down. He can only expect respect 4 his faith if he does the same to you. Let him know that in no uncertain terms.

Reply to DEREK