Question
Posted by: Mercia | 2010-03-10

VARIOUS SURGERIES

Hi, i am a 31 year old Female, and was diagnosed with Endometrioses at the age of 20. Before this, i had a appendix removal and hernia repair. Since the age of 20, i have had 11 laparoscopies, 2 x ceasarians and 1 x laparotomy (laparotomy was perfomed after my intestines was perforated). In total, i have had 16 operations. My questions are : 1) What side effects will i have after having so many procedures, in terms of scar tissue? 2) Is there any risk for cancer? 3) I have had tremendous sensitivity and tenderness towards my abdominal lately, and after the laparotomy, i am too scared to go back to a doctor, as the operation was very intense. I was advised that i needed to go for a urgent historectomy approx 1 year after my laparotomy, but once again, i have never gone back to a doctor. I have also noted that i''''ve started gaining weight, and has always been a very "  small"  person. Could this have anything to do with my hormones, or is it just a "  age"  thing? Any advise would be appreciated.

With 16 operations you are at risk for scar tissue, but not at increased risk for cancer. I am not sure why your doctor suggested an urgent hysterectomy, but there was presumably a reason which I cannot work out from what you have told me. Unless you have PCOS, weight gain is unlikely to be related to your hormones. I would suggest that you see your doctor again. The decision for further surgery is yours, but you need to have a clear idea of what the problems are.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-03-11