Posted by: Natasha | 2009-09-11

Varied symptoms

Dear CyberDoc,

I' m a twenty eight year old female, and before now was in good health (apart from the odd colds).

I had flu during the course of winter, and about a month ago I started seeing white spots in my vision (almost like when you have looked directly into the sun) and my GP had blood tests done. I was later diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I subsequently went to the dietician who provided me with a low GI diet.

However, since then I' ve been struggling with the following symptoms, and I' m not sure whether they are connected or not: (1) blurred vision (sometimes) no longer the spots, (2) numb feeling on the left side of my head, neck, shoulder and arm (like when you just start coming out of general anesthetic givin by a dentist), (3) left ear ache, (4) itchy feeling on the left side of my scalp and inner ear (it feels like little ants walking on my head and inside my ear), and (5) occasional dull headaches.

I did an HIV test to make sure that my symptons wasn' t as a result thereof, which test came out HIV negative.

I' ve spent all my medical aid funds on the above mentioned doctor visits and blood tests. I don' t mind going for another test, but I cannot afford another fishing expidition. Could these symptons be related, and if so, what is it that is possibly ailing me.

Please help.

Kind Regards

It is very difficult to give you an informed opinion without a proper examination. Your symptoms can be related and explained by a multitude of conditions, including cervical muscle spasm with secondary irritation of the cervical nerves etc.

Explain your symptoms to your doctor and ask him/her to do a thorough examination of the head, neck and shoulders, as well as the upper respiratory tract.

Good luck and please be so kind as to provide me with feedback.