Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-28

Varicous veins caused by contraceptives?

I am currently using the patch (Evra), and have been for the last 18 months. Before that I was using Yasmin. Although this is very convenient for me, as it only needs to be changed weekly, I am struggeling with even worse and more painful varicous veins than ever. These veins have been a problem for many years now, but it feels like suddenly it is deteriorating at a super fast rate.

Do you think that Evra has got something to do with it? Please advise on which contraceptive to rather use. I can not go on like this. Is there any other information you can give me on this please?

I am also noticing severe pigmentation on my face. Could this also be a cause of my contraceptive?

Thanks in advance.

The pigmentation can be caused by the Pill. It is questionable whether the varicose veins are related. You could try a very low dose Pill such as Mirelle.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-30

Thanks doc!